The three row houses to the left (1862) were originally part of a Georgian eight-house row. The Second Empire features – mansard roofs and bowed bays – were added about 20 years later. The double house to the right (1874) is an example of Italiante architecture with round-headed windows and doors and bracketed cornices. Thanks to Patricia McHugh’s 2nd edition of Toronto Architecture: A City Guide.
Architects Strictland and Symens, 1888, Renaissance Revival.
The building was designed in the style of an early Christian basilica with a clerestory roof. It may have been built as a self-supporting structure and simply placed on top of the building so that any explosion would raise it without destroying the walls (from the COC’s website).
Sparling, Morton and Forbes, c.1928.
Don’t worry as they are going to be “re-establisng an original” by saving 100,000 bricks and stonework for the West and South faces with a couple of condo towers behind and an addition on top.
The Canary District (and former PAN AM Athlete’s Village) is named after the diner. This is the oldest multi-room school house in Toronto.