On the left is the Portland Energy Centr, a natural gas powered power plant that opened in 2008 and on the right is the Hearn Generating Station, a decommissioned coal-fired plant that opened in 1951 and closed in 1983.
ERA Architects conducted the heritage impact statement. In short the building is not heritage-listed, not in a Heritage Conservation District and its height is not out of character with coming development. Amexon Development and CORE Architects Inc are behind the proposal.
The hotel was originally a mid-century modernist office building with some redeeming elements as shown in the image below from the 1960’s. Thanks to Chuckman’s Photos on WordPress (https://chuckmantorontonostalgia.wordpress.com/).
Architects Sproatt and Rolph, c.1911.
Formerly the Steele Briggs Seed Company warehouse.
This decaying globe and sundail will remain once Toronto’s Harbour Square park is redesigned along with the ferry terminal.