Tag Archives: toronto history

20170710. The 1910 S.F. Bowser and Company Factory, producer of oil tanks, has Edwardian Classical features including a flat roof, less ornate corbelled brickwork and piers, and flat-headed windows (39 Mowat Avenue).

20161226. The Milburn building on Colborne Street – designed by the “master practitioner” of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, E.J. Lennox (architect of Casa Loma and Old City Hall).

Completed in 1889, this five-unit building housed Milburn Co., a wholesaler of patent medicines and tenants who sold beer supplies, wine and liquor (from Toronto Architecture: A City Guide, 2nd edition).
Completed in 1889, this five-unit building housed Milburn Co., a wholesaler of patent medicines and tenants who sold beer supplies, wine and liquor (from Toronto Architecture: A City Guide, 2nd edition).

20161208. The nearly finished SQ Condominiums in #Toronto’s redeveloping Alexandra Park, contrast strongly but fittingly with the turn of the century mid-rise commercial buildings of Spadina Avenue.

20161208. The nearly finished SQ Condominiums in #Toronto's rede

20161128. The rich and varied architectural history of Toronto’s Jarvis Street.

The three row houses to the left (1862) were originally part of a Georgian eight-house row. The Second Empire features – mansard roofs and bowed bays – were added about 20 years later. The double house to the right (1874) is an example of Italiante architecture with round-headed windows and doors and bracketed cornices. Thanks to Patricia McHugh’s 2nd edition of Toronto Architecture: A City Guide.

20161106. The interesting and varied historic architecture of Spadina Avenue. From left to right: WJ Gage building, Darling Building, Tower Building, Reading Building, Fashion Building and The Morgan Condominiums (built 2002).

20161106. The interesting and varied historic architecture of Sp