Tag Archives: heritage listed

20161226. The Milburn building on Colborne Street – designed by the “master practitioner” of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture, E.J. Lennox (architect of Casa Loma and Old City Hall).

Completed in 1889, this five-unit building housed Milburn Co., a wholesaler of patent medicines and tenants who sold beer supplies, wine and liquor (from Toronto Architecture: A City Guide, 2nd edition).
Completed in 1889, this five-unit building housed Milburn Co., a wholesaler of patent medicines and tenants who sold beer supplies, wine and liquor (from Toronto Architecture: A City Guide, 2nd edition).

20161220. Celebrated Canadian architect Uno Prii, known for sculpted concrete buildings in Toronto, dabbled with rectilinear forms in his later years including the 1983 Brutalist Alan Brown Building, a staff residence for The Hospital for Sick Children.

20161220. Celebrated Canadian architect Uno Prii, known for scul

20161128. The rich and varied architectural history of Toronto’s Jarvis Street.

The three row houses to the left (1862) were originally part of a Georgian eight-house row. The Second Empire features – mansard roofs and bowed bays – were added about 20 years later. The double house to the right (1874) is an example of Italiante architecture with round-headed windows and doors and bracketed cornices. Thanks to Patricia McHugh’s 2nd edition of Toronto Architecture: A City Guide.

20161106. The interesting and varied historic architecture of Spadina Avenue. From left to right: WJ Gage building, Darling Building, Tower Building, Reading Building, Fashion Building and The Morgan Condominiums (built 2002).

20161106. The interesting and varied historic architecture of Sp

20160727. A top-down view of Toronto’s Commerce Court West Tower.

20160727_8193_682x1100Note the green roof of the Toronto Dominion Centre banking pavilion to the right.

20160305. Rack House D, Building 42 at the Gooderham and Worts Distillery, a heritage-designated National Historic Site in Toronto.

20160305. Rack House D, Building 42 at the Gooderham and Worts DThis is a 6-storey masonry warehouse building that was used to store barrels of alcohol. Designed by David Roberts Jr and constructed between 1842-1851, it was built where the residence of James Gooderham Worts once stood. Archaeological evidence of this residence may survive underneath the building. Thanks goes to a Heritage Impact Assessment report by ERA Architects for the above information.

20141120. Toronto’s beautiful Art Deco apartments at 1477 Bayview (c.1941). Despite being heritage listed, they face development pressure.

20141120. Toronto's beautiful Art Deco apartments at 1477 Bayvie

This Garden Court Apartment complex has 10 buildings beautifully arranged around an interior court. It is one of the nicest places in Toronto and will be featured on this Saturdays Urban Exploration Walk.

There is a development proposal sign in front but a more recent city report recommends refusing the proposal and corresponding zoning plan amendment. The proposal called for the demolition of the complex to make way for, you guessed it, more condominiums.