Moriyama and Teshima Architects, 1989.
Updated or built in 1910 by James Havill for Holt, Renfrew & Co., purveyors of fur at the time, this building originally occupied the northwest corner of Yonge and Adelaide as part of the 1850 Elgin building (See the image below for what the building looked like before being moved – Vik Pahwa, Jan 2013). The facade was moved north to Temperance Street for the Bay Adelaide Centre. The building was elongated to house mechanical equipment on its upper floors for the adjacent building. The extension, a modern addition cast from the original building facade, is known as a ghost wall.
Looking west from Parliament Street. Several buildings are named for Canadian cities – the white building with shapely balconies is the Toronto and in the distance the right tower is the Hamilton.
In the 1960s, during redevelopment of the area, the then owner refused to sell.