Architects Strictland and Symens, 1888, Renaissance Revival.
The building was designed in the style of an early Christian basilica with a clerestory roof. It may have been built as a self-supporting structure and simply placed on top of the building so that any explosion would raise it without destroying the walls (from the COC’s website).
The Canary District (and former PAN AM Athlete’s Village) is named after the diner. This is the oldest multi-room school house in Toronto.